March 9, 2012

Hey teacher, my dad won't do any more homework

I have never been so tired of the homework, and I am done with it. Not homework I assign (you know I don't), and not even the mindless drivel that my colleagues assign. It's the piles of homework my kids bring home that I have to help them with do that I'm sick of.

Today, it was perimeter in math, which I haven't done in about 38 years. Then, it was geography. "Which continent is west of New Zealand?" Seriously? First, where the hell is New Zealand, and why do I need to know what is west of it? Next, it was a 5-minute test on 100 math problems, which I'm supposed to grade for my 8-year-old. (Now, I get that I'm a teacher, but I'm not her teacher, for crying out loud.) I'm considering contacting her school and asking to be added to the payroll.

I'm fed up, and I'm not doing any more of this ridiculous, useless homework.

I told my kids to tell their teachers that the dog ate it. I'm even going to write a note verifying it.

3 comments:

  1. You have no idea how many times I've been tempted to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it! Last year year when my daughter was in 2nd grade she was bring home math sheets that were stripping of her love for math. First I told my daughter, "no, you don't have to do the coloring if you don't want to." Then I emailed the teacher and asked that my daughter be excused from homework. The teacher still wanted to know what my daughter at home because I had told her we do plenty because kids get prizes for doing homework! Double trouble! Overall, it was way better for us and my daughter got over not getting a prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Double trouble," for sure. These are the traditional practices we have to eliminate -- homework and prizes. Hard to inspire a love of learning this way.

      Delete